Refereed Research Articles
- S. Hecker. 1988. Technical issues and procedural safeguards in workplace drug testing, in Problems in the Workplace: AIDS, Drug Testing, Sexual Harassment, and Smoking Restrictions, LERC Monograph Series, No. 7, Labor Education and Research Center.
- S. Hecker and M. Kaplan. 1989. Workplace drug testing as social control. International Journal of Health Services 19(4): 693-707.
- S. Hecker. 1993. Occupational health and safety policy in the European Community: A case study of economic integration and social policy. Part 1 Early initiatives through the Single European Act, New Solutions, 3(4): 59-69.
- S. Hecker. 1993. Occupational health and safety policy in the European Community: A case study of economic integration and social policy. Part 2 The Framework Directive: Whither harmonization? New Solutions, 4(1): 57-67.
- S. Hecker. 1993. U.S. unions, trade, and international solidarity: Emerging issues and tactics, Economic and Industrial Democracy, 14: 355-367.
- S. Hecker. 1999. Formazione: sogni, bisogni ed esperienze reali (Training: Dreams, needs and actual experiences). A Scuole di Sicurezza, Speciale 626 [Supplement to Rassegna Sindacale 45(21)]. Rome.
- L.M. Goldenhar, S. Hecker, S. Moir, J. Rosecrance. 2003. The “Goldilocks model” of overtime in construction: Not too much, not too little, but just right. Journal of Safety Research 34: 215-226.
- J. Hess and S. Hecker. 2003. Stretching at work for injury prevention: Issues, evidence, and recommendations. Appl Occupational and Environmental Hygiene 18(5): 331-338.
- S. Hecker and J. Gambatese. 2003. Safety in design: A proactive approach to construction safety and health. Appl Occupational and Environmental Hygiene 18(5): 339-342.
- J.A. Hess, S. Hecker, M. Weinstein, M. Lunger. 2004. A participatory ergonomics intervention to reduce risk factors for low-back disorders in concrete laborers. Appl Ergos 35(5): 427-441.
- S. Hecker, J. Gambatese, M. Weinstein. 2005. Designing for worker safety: Moving the construction safety process upstream. Professional Safety 50(9): 32-44.
- M. Weinstein, J. Gambatese, S. Hecker. 2005. Can design improve construction safety: Assessing the impact of a collaborative safety-in-design process. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 131(10): 1125-1134.
- M. Weinstein, S. Hecker, J. Hess, L. Kincl. 2007. A Roadmap to diffuse ergonomic innovations in the construction industry: There is nothing so practical as a good theory. Int J Occup Environ Health 13(1): 46-55.
Other Refereed Articles
- J. Hess, S. Hecker. 2004. Danger: Men at work. How ergonomics can make construction sites safer. BioMechanics 11(3): 22-35.
Books and Book Chapters
- S. Hecker and M. Hallock, editors. 1991. Labor in a Global Economy: Perspectives from the U.S. and Canada, Eugene, Oregon, UO Books, 305 pp.
- S. Hecker. 1994. U.S. union strategy after NAFTA, In S. Deutsch and Ray Broomhill, eds., Recent Developments in U.S. Trade Union Strategies, Center for Labour Studies, University of Adelaide, South Australia
- S. Hecker. 1997. Health and safety education and training. Introductory article and associate editor for Education and Training chapter of Encyclopedia of Occupational Health and Safety, fourth edition, Jeanne Mager Stellman, Editor, Geneva, International Labour Organization.
- S. Hecker, B. Gibbons, A. Barsotti. 2001. Making ergonomic changes in construction: Worksite training and task interventions. In D. Alexander and R. Rabourn, eds. Applied Ergonomics, London, Taylor & Francis, pp. 162-189.
- S. Hecker, J. Gambatese, M. Weinstein, editors. 2004. Designing for Safety and Health in Construction. Eugene, Oregon: UO Press, 318 pp.
- S. Hecker, S. Schneider, J. Hess, L. Kincl. 2006. Ergonomics in general construction. In W. Karwowski, W.S. Marras, Eds., The Occupational Ergonomics Handbook, 2nd edition, Vol. 2: Interventions, Controls, and Applications in Occupational Ergonomics. London, CRC/Taylor & Francis, pp. 50-1 – 50-30.
- S. Hecker, 1986. Worker education and training on health care hazards, Occupational Hazards to Health Care Workers. Northwest Center for Occupational Health and Safety/ American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists.
- W. Gibbons and S. Hecker. 1997. Integration of ergonomics into a construction safety and health program, Proceedings of the 13th Triennial Congress of the International Ergonomics Association, Volume 6, pp. 103-105. Helsinki, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health.
- S. Hecker and W. Gibbons. 1997. Evaluation of a prework stretching program in the construction industry, Proceedings of the 13th Triennial Congress of the International Ergonomics Association, Volume 6, pp. 115-117. Helsinki, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health.
- W. Gibbons and S. Hecker. 1999. A participatory approach to ergonomic risk reduction: Case study of body harnesses for concrete work. In A. Singh, J. Hinze, and R. Coble, eds., Implementation of Safety and Health on Construction Sites, proceedings of the Second International Conference of CIB Working Commission W99. Rotterdam: A.A. Balkema.
- S. Hecker, W. Gibbons, A. Barsotti. 2000. Best practices sampling: A participatory approach to improve construction safety performance. Proceedings of the XIVth Congress of the International Ergonomics Association, Vol. 5, pp. 683-686. Santa Monica, CA, Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.
- S. Hecker, W. Gibbons, J. Rosecrance, A. Barsotti. 2000. An ergonomics training intervention with construction workers: Effects on behavior and perceptions. Proceedings of the XIVth Congress of the International Ergonomics Association, Vol. 5, pp. 691-694. Santa Monica, CA, Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.
- S. Hecker. 2001. OSHA regulation of workplace ergonomics in the U.S.: Political and scientific challenges. L’ergonomia Nella Societa Dell’Informazione, pp. 746-752. Seventh National Congress of the Italian Society of Ergonomics, September 26-28, 2001.
- S. Hecker, J. Gambatese. 2004. Training students for design safety in construction. ASSE Professional Development Conference Proceedings, June 7-10, Las Vegas.
- S. Hecker, M. Weinstein, B. Chambers. 2005. Participatory design: A case study of employee involvement in safe hospital design. R. Tartaglia, S. Bagnara, T. Bellandi, S. Albolino, eds. Health Care Systems Ergonomics and Patient Safety. London: Taylor & Francis.
- S. Hecker, J. Gambatese, M. Weinstein. 2006. Designing for construction safety in the U.S.: Progress, needs, and future directions. 16th World Congress on Ergonomics, Maastricht, Netherlands, International Ergonomics Association, July 10-14, 2006.
- S. Hecker, Patricia A. Gwartney, and Amy E. Barlow. 1995. Declining Occupational Injury Rates in Oregon: A Preliminary Investigation of Variables, Data Sources, and Directions for Research. Labor Education and Research Center/Oregon Survey Research Laboratory.
- Employee Buyouts and Job Retention: An Oregon Workers' Guide to Employee Ownership. 1987. Labor Education and Research Center, 97 pp.
- Chemical Health Hazards in the Oregon Forest Products Industry. 1991. Labor Education and Research Center, 280 pp.
- Preventing Musculoskeletal Disorders: A Dental Hygiene Ergonomics Training Curriculum. 1995. Labor Education and Research Center.
- Back Injury Prevention Through Ergonomics: A Training Curriculum for Registered Nurses. 1995. Labor Education and Research Center.
- Preventing Occupational Illness: Health Hazard Training Modules for the Pulp and Paper Industry. 1997. Labor Education and Research Center.
- The Right to Know: An Employee Guide to Information About Workplace Hazards, 2nd edition. 2004. Labor Education and Research Center, 40 pp (with Braxton Chambers).