job #12,136: Environmental Lab Scientist I - TLT - Department of Natural Resources & Parks - Wastewater Treatment Division
The King County Environmental Lab is a full service environmental laboratory supporting a range of King County wastewater treatment and environmental programs. (See http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/data-and-trends/environmental-lab.aspx for more details.) This is an entry-level classification for conducting environmental laboratory analyses using a variety of complex analytical methods and advanced instrumentation to characterize environmental samples in the Microbiology unit. Under supervision, this position performs and interprets a variety of environmental laboratory analyses using Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater and accepted Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) methods. Environmental Laboratory Scientist I incumbents develop their skills and perform a variety of analyses with training and progressively decreasing oversight.Skills/Eligibility:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Microbiology or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum one year environmental microbiology lab experience.
• Knowledge and understanding of Federal, Washington State and local environmental, health and safety regulations.
• Knowledge and understanding of EPA, standard methods and other approved microbiology protocols.
• Demonstrated skill in operating, maintaining and troubleshooting general lab equipment (motorized micro pipettes, balances, ovens, incubators, biological safety cabinets, and homogenization equipment) and moderately complex automated instrumentation (real-time PCR, thermocyclers, spectrophotometers).
• Knowledge and understanding of relevant principles in microbiology, relevant mathematics
• Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications including LIMS, Word, Excel, and vendor specialized software.
• Must have knowledge and understanding of basic laboratory equipment and safety procedures.
• Ability to communicate effectively in terms of producing standard operating procedures; producing sample reports for customers (including data interpretation in narrative form); and participating in team and committee efforts in problem solving and decision making. This position also requires the ability to present project status updates and represent the unit in committees.
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully under supervision and independently within a team environment.
• Must be able to perform all of the primary job functions, including the special requirements set forth below.