Applying to the Major
Students with 30-90 credits, and/or fewer than 6 quarters completed at the time of application will apply under early admission. Students with more than 90 credits and/or 6 quarters or more completed will apply under upper division requirements.
Students may have pre-requisites courses in progress at the time of application. Students who have questions about the major or the admission process are encouraged to meet with an adviser..
|Early Admission Pre-requisites (30-90 credits / fewer than 6 quarters completed at time of application)|
|Chemistry Series||CHEM 142, 152, 162|
|Calculus||MATH 124 or Q SCI 291|
|English Composition||ENGL 131 or equivalent|
|Upper Division Admission Prerequisites (90 or more credits / 6 or more quarters completed at time of application)|
|complete all early admission prerequisites above plus:|
|Organic Chemistry Series||CHEM 237, 238, 239 or CHEM 223, 224|
|Biology Series||BIOL 180, 200, 220|
The application constist of three components which you should prepare before you access the online application form
1. Personal Statement: Your statement should be approximately 500 words, and should address the following questions:
- Why do you want to be an Environmental Health major?
- How will completing this degree help you to achieve your professional and academic goals?
2. Unofficial UW transcript: Current students may access unofficial transcripts through the Grades and Transcripts section found on the Academics block on MyUW. Select the Academics block at the bottom of the page. Next, select Unofficial Transcript under the Grades and Transcripts section. Select Printer-Friendly Version on the Unofficial Transcript page. It will create a PDF file of your unofficial transcript, which you can save and then upload into the application form.
3. Prerequisites and Satisfactory Progress: In the application you will be asked whether you are applying for early or upper division admission, and you will need to list out the prerequisites that you've already completed. You will also need to indicate how many quarters and credits you have completed. If you have any questions about early verus upper division admission, or prequisites, please contact an advisor.
Link to the online application form
Transfer Student Information
Transfer students can apply to the major after they have been admitted to UW. Please consult the transfer admission website for more information about applying to the UW. Local studenst should plan to attend the weekly Transfer Thursday sessions if possible. Washington State Community College students should use the online equivalency guide to help plan for transfer. Students transferring in as juniors should complete the upper division prerequisite courses prior to enrolling at UW.
All transfer students are encouraged to talk with a UW Environmental Health adviser before applying. To schedule an appointment either in person or over the phone, see the Contact an Adviser page.