The Center for Exposures, Diseases, Genomics, and Environment (EDGE) Pilot Research Project Program provides initial support for investigators to establish novel lines of research relevant to the missions of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences & the EDGE Center. The program promotes exploration of possible innovative directions representing a significant departure from ongoing funded research for investigators in environmental health sciences. Investigators from other areas of focus are also encouraged to apply their expertise to environmental health research.
EDGE pilot projects have provided data for numerous successful grant applications and resulted in a number of publications.
Pilot projects are awarded each year in early April and funding is limited to 12 months for a maximum award of $40,000 (direct costs).
You can view/download the following documents for the 2019-2020 EDGE Pilot Projects:
Pilot Projects Timeline:
- Wednesday, January 2, 2019 – Pre-Applications due
- Tuesday, January 8, 2019 - Competitive applicants are invited to submit full proposals (application will be emailed to invited applicants)
- Friday, February 8, 2019 - Full Invited Proposals due
- Friday, March 8, 2019 - Reviews due back to applicants and most competitive proposals asked to make oral presentation to Center Internal Advisory Committee
- Late March 2019 (date TBD)- Most competitive proposals make oral presentations to Center Internal Advisory Committee
- Friday, March 29, 2019 - Awards announced
- Monday, April 1, 2019 - Funding period begins
Questions about the pilot project program should be directed to Liz Guzy (email@example.com, 206-685-5333).
Current Pilot Project Awards (2018-2019)
- Dr. Thomas Burbacher, PI, DEOHS, Assessing Molecular Responses Associated with Clinical Symptoms from Low-Level Domoic Acid Exposure in Nonhuman Primates
- Dr. Julia Cui, PI, DEOHS, A high throughput pre-RNA sequencing pipeline to decipher the micriobiome-toxicant relationship
- Dr. Scott Meschke, PI, DEOHS, Using a novel 3D intestinal tissue culture system to understand impacts of cadmium modulation of host glutathione response on enteric viral infection
Past Pilot Project Awards
CLICK HERE TO VIEW a list of recent pilot projects, 2011-2018 (PDF, 200 KB).