The Center for Exposures, Diseases, Genomics, and Environment (EDGE) Pilot Research Project Program provides initial support for investigators to establish novel lines of research relevant to the missions of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences & the EDGE Center. The program promotes exploration of possible innovative directions representing a significant departure from ongoing funded research for investigators in environmental health sciences. Investigators from other areas of focus are also encouraged to apply their expertise to environmental health research.
EDGE pilot projects have provided data for numerous successful grant applications and resulted in a number of publications.
Pilot projects are awarded each year in early April and funding is limited to 12 months for a maximum award of $40,000 (direct costs).
You can view/download the following documents for the 2020-2021 EDGE Pilot Projects:
- 2020-2021 Pilot Project Program RFA (PDF)
- Pre-Application Form (Word Doc) You will upload this document to your online application available at: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/41459721d95b48a58b0572ae3adc56e8
Pilot Projects Timeline:
- Thursday, January 9, 2020 – Pre-Applications due, submit online here https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/41459721d95b48a58b0572ae3adc56e8
- Thursday, January 16, 2020 - Competitive applicants are invited to submit full proposals
- Friday, February 14, 2020 - Full Invited Proposals due, submission link will be emailed to you
- Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - Awards announced
- Monday, April 1, 2020 - Funding period begins
Questions about the pilot project program should be directed to Liz Guzy (firstname.lastname@example.org, 206-685-5333).
Current Pilot Project Awards (2019-2020)
- Dr. Ed Kelly, PI, Pharmacy, Development of a 3D microphysiological model of ochratoxin A-induced nephropathy
- Dr. Alexander Mendenhall, PI, Pathology, Assessing the effects of common environmental toxicants on monoallelic gene expression in Caenorhadbits elegans.
- Dr. Edmund Seto, PI, DEOHS, Partnership to characterize PM2.5 in 5 population centers on the Yakama Nation Reservation and Evaluation of Indoor Air Cleaners
Past Pilot Project Awards
CLICK HERE TO VIEW a list of recent pilot projects, 2011-2019 (PDF, 200 KB).