Animal workers encounter a number of special hazards in their work. These include the risk of injury from bites, scratches and kicks; the risk of infections from animals; and animal allergies.
A number of resources for animal workers related to job exposures are listed here.
Washington State Department of Labor & Industries information for animal workers:
- “Working as a veterinarian or veterinary technician during pregnancy”
- Model infection control plan for veterinary practices
- “Safe handling of hazardous drugs for veterinary healthcare workers”
- Information about compassion fatigue in laboratory animal work
- Infection prevention and control on animal farms