Tuition & Funding Opportunities

Tuition and Fees

The tuition rates and fees (quarterly basis) for all of the department's Graduate degree options are updated and posted on the Office of Planning and Budgeting's website under the following tuition categories:

  • Public Health PhD Program
  • Public Health Masters Programs (excl MPH)
  • Master of Public Health (Incoming)
  • Master of Public Health (Continuing)  

In-State Tuition for MS and PhD Students Who Are Residents of WICHE Participating States

The Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) is a 16-state and territory commission working to improve access to higher education for students in the western region.  Beginning in Summer quarter of 2017, all of our department's graduate degree options (excluding Master of Public Health degrees) are part of WICHE's Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP),  which makes this program available to students who can demonstrate residency in a participating state or territory. The participating states are listed on the WRGP website.  Admitted students with residency in any of these states who apply for the WRGP rate will be charged the UW's resident tuition rate instead of the non-resident rate.  

Types of Support

Research, Teaching, and Staff Assistantships (Academice Service Employees)

RA, TA, and SA positions carry a work commitment of up to 220 hours per quarter. Students must be full-time (registered for at least 10 credits during the fall through the spring) to be eligible.  Open TA and SA positions are announced to all current students for application submission.  

Traineeships and Fellowships

Traineeships that provide stipends and tuition support are also available for graduate and undergraduate students and postdoctoral fellows who are US citizens or permanent residents.  Graduate students and postdocs can apply for support from the NIOSH-funded Education and Research Center (ERC) Training Grant, the NIEHS-funded Biostatistics, Epidemiologic and Bioinformatic Training in Environmental Health (BEBTEH) training grant, and the NIH-funded Environmental Pathology Training Grant (EPT).

Undergraduate students from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds can apply for the Supporting Undergraduate Research Experience in Environmental Health (SURE-EH) program. SURE-EH Students are paid on an hourly basis to conduct research.

New or continuing students may also apply for individual fellowships, which are primarily funded from federal sources like the NIH, CDC, EPA, etc. There are also limited fellowships available from private sources (foundations, private business, and professional organizations such as AIHA, SOT, NEHA, NSF). DEOHS forwards fellowship opportunity announcements to students whenever notices are sent to us.  

Recruitment Awards

The Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) fellowship provides a total stipend of $17,500 ($7,500 in year one, and $5,000 in years two and three). This stipend is in addition to core funding via RA quarters or a traineeship.

The Top Scholar Fellowship provides first academic year support plus a one time $1,000 recruitment bonus.

The Graduate Opportunity and Minority Access Program (Go-Map) fellowship provides first academic year of support plus a one time $1,000 recruitment bonus. 

Student Financial Aid

We highly encourage all students to apply for Financial Aid, even if you are offered admission with funding.  Often, opportunities for scholarships become available throughout the year and part of the eligibility requirement may be having a file in place with the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA).  To be considered for any type of financial aid support, you will need to first fill out the FAFSA and submit it before the deadlines as outlined on their website.  OSFA might offer you both grants and loans, or just one or the other, but you are not required to accept any of the aid that they offer to you.  Sometimes, grants such as the Graduate University Grant are offered to graduate students, based on need and availability of funds, that do not require repayment of those funds.

Occupational and Environmental Residency Program Funding

Questions about funding for the Occupational and Environmental medicine residency program should be directed to the residency program office:

Occupational and Environmental Medicine Residency/Fellowship Program
Harborview Medical Center
325 Ninth Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104
Telephone: (206) 744-9397

* The University of Washington pays for medical, dental, and vision coverage for students with RA, TA, and stipend appointments. Spouses, domestic partners, and children can be enrolled with 50% of the costs paid by the student. The program is underwritten by the Lifewise Assurance program.