Forestry services work occurs nationwide, yet is often hidden from the public eye. Injury and illness rates among workers in the forestry services industry are 2 to 3 times the rates of the average US worker, and fatality rates are 10 times as high. It can be dangerous work, with job tasks involving the use of chainsaws, falling and burning trees and branches, carrying and lifting heavy loads, and frequent awkward and repetitive motions. This industry manages forests for future harvest, reforestation, ecosystem management, and fuel management to prevent catastrophic wildfires.
Common injuries include broken bones, open wounds, severe poison oak rashes, and dehydration. The largely immigrant, Latino workforce in this industry is essential to US forest management, yet vulnerable because of documentation status, lack of English proficiency, low literacy, working in remote locations under contracted employment, and little skills training.
PNASH Selected Articles
- Aches, Pains, and Strains
- Hearing Loss - Risks and Prevention
- Forestry - Integrating Safety in a Time of Rapid Change
- Work Organization and Injury Outcomes among Latino Forest Workers
- Working in the Shadows: Safety and Health in Forestry Services in Southern Oregon
- Occupational Hazards of Harvesting Non-Timber Forest Products in the Pacific Northwest
Key Partner Resources
- NW Forest Worker Center Health and Safety Resources (SP and ENG)
- Protect yourself from pesticides | Oregon OSHA (SP and ENG)
- Accident Analysis in Forestry: A practical field guide
- Occupational Safety and Health in Forest Harvesting and Silviculture - A compendium for practitioners and instructors
- Additional Forestry Services Safety Resources
Featured PNASH Resources
Forest Worker Safety Talks / Platica ssobre seguridad para los trabajadores forestales
Train with real worker stories to start conversations and give essential safety tips. In English and Spanish.
Reality Tales Videos: Injuries in the Woods / Videos historias reales: Lesiones en los bosque
Real worker injury stories, told in Spanish with English subtitles, from immigrant workers conducting contract services in our U.S. forests.
Spanish Glossary of Forestry Services Terms / Glosario de servicios forestales:
con motivación para la comprensión
Glossary of common Forestry Services terms in English and Spanish.