The B.S. in Environmental Health is a "minimum requirements" major, which means that all students who meet the minimum requirements listed below, and who can complete the degree within the UW's maximum time frame are admitted. The application deadline is the third Friday of each quarter.
Students with 30-90 credits, and/or fewer than 6 quarters completed at the time of application will apply under early admission. Students with more than 90 credits and/or 6 quarters or more completed will apply under upper division requirements. Applicants must have a 2.0 in each of the pre-requisites courses. Early Admission applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0. Upper Division applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5.
Students may have pre-requisites courses in progress at the time of application. Students who have questions about the major or the admission process are encouraged to meet with an adviser.
Early Admission Pre-requisites
30-90 credits / fewer than 6 quarters completed at time of application
MATH 124 (5) or Q SCI 291 (5) Calculus I
CHEM 142, 152 Chemistry series
ENGL 131 or equivalent English composition
Upper Division Admission Prerequisites
90 or more credits / 6 or more quarters completed at time of application
complete all early admission prerequisites above plus:
BIOL 180, 200, 220 (15) Introductory Biology with labs
CHEM 142, 152, 162, CHEM 237, 238, 241 OR
CHEM 142, 152, CHEM 223, 224, 241 OR
CHEM 142, 152, CHEM 220 General and Organic Chemistry (choose one sequence)
The application opens 4 weeks before the application deadline. The upcoming application windows are:
Summer 2021: application open March 22nd - April 16th
Fall 2020: application open June 15th - July 10th
Winter 2021: application open September 23rd - October 9th
Spring 2021: application open February 28th - January 22nd
The application consists of three components which you should prepare before you access the online application form
1. Personal statement: Your statement should be approximately 500 words, and should address the following questions:
- Why do you want to be an Environmental Health major?
- How will completing this degree help you to achieve your professional and academic goals?
2. Unofficial UW transcript: Current students may access unofficial transcripts through the Grades and Transcripts section found on the Academics block on MyUW. Select the Academics block at the bottom of the page. Next, select Unofficial Transcript under the Grades and Transcripts section. Select Printer-Friendly Version on the Unofficial Transcript page. It will create a PDF file of your unofficial transcript, which you can save and then upload into the application form.
3. Prerequisites and satisfactory progress: In the application you will be asked whether you are applying for early or upper division admission, and you will need to list out the prerequisites that you've already completed. You will also need to indicate how many quarters and credits you have completed. If you have any questions about early versus upper division admission, or prerequisites, please contact an advisor.
Notification: All applicants will be contacted by an adviser 2 weeks after the application deadline. Applicants who meet the minimum prerequisites and can complete the degree within the UW's maximum time frame will be asked to come in for an advising appointment to formally declare the major.
Transfer student information
Transfer students can apply to the major after they have been admitted to UW. Please consult the transfer admission website for more information about applying to the UW. Local studenst should plan to attend the weekly Transfer Thursday sessions if possible. Washington State Community College students should use the online equivalency guide to help plan for transfer. Students transferring in as juniors should complete the upper division prerequisite courses prior to enrolling at UW.
All transfer students are encouraged to talk with a UW Environmental Health adviser before applying. To schedule an appointment either in person or over the phone, see the Contact an Adviser page.