Tuition and funding opportunities

uw graduate

2023-24 tuition and fees

Contact an adviser

MS Applied

Interested in an MS or PhD degree? You may qualify for in-state tuition if you reside in one of 16 Western states and territories. 

The Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) is a 16-state and territory commission working to improve access to higher education by reducing student tuition to a resident rate. All graduate degree options in the UW Department of Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences (excluding Master of Public Health degrees) are part of WICHE's Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) for students who can demonstrate residency in a participating state or territory for the 12 months prior to the start of their graduate degree program. See participating states on the WRGP website

Eligible admitted students must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident (non-pending), resident of a participating U.S. territory, or a person granted refugee or asylum status (non-pending) with residency in these states. Eligible students who apply for the WRGP rate will be charged the UW's resident tuition rate instead of the non-resident rate.  

Other types of student support

Student financial aid

US citizens and permanent residents are strongly encouraged to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year as soon as possible after October 1 to be considered for priority financial aid. We encourage students to submit a FAFSA regardless of whether they intend to borrow state or federal aid so that the University can assess them for other need-based funding. There are also scholarships that require students to have a current FAFSA on file in order to be considered. Contact the UW Financial Aid Office for additional information.

Traineeships and fellowships: Graduate level

Our department offers several graduate-level traineeships that provide stipends, tuition support and insurance benefits. Available to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows who are US citizens or permanent residents.  

New or continuing students may also apply for individual fellowships, which are primarily funded from federal sources such as the National Institutes of Health, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the US Environmental Protection Agency.

There are also limited fellowships available from private sources, including foundations, private business and professional organizations such as the American Industrial Hygiene Association, the Society of Toxicology, the Association of Environmental Health Academic Programs, the National Environmental Health Association and the National Science Foundation

Traineeships and fellowships: Undergraduate level

Undergraduate students from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds from any major can apply for the Supporting Undergraduate Research Experience in Environmental Health (SURE-EH) program. SURE-EH students are paid on an hourly basis to conduct research. Students completing unpaid or underpaid internships in public environmental health can apply for department scholarships.

Student scholarships

DEOHS graduate and undergraduate students may be eligible for scholarships and funding through the School of Public Health Office of the Dean

The UW also offers the Graduate Funding Information Service to help graduate students find funding. 

Recruitment awards

The Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) fellowship provides a total recruitment bonus of $17,500 ($7,500 in year one and $5,000 in years two and three). These funds are in addition to funding via Academic Service Employees (research teaching and staff assistantships).

The Top Scholar award provides funding support in the first three quarters of year one support. 

The Graduate Opportunity and Minority Access Program (Go-Map) fellowship provides funding support for graduate students in the first three quarters of year 1, with a match of an additional three quarters in year 2. 

Research, teaching and staff assistantships (Academic Service Employees)

New and continuing students can also apply each year for limited open research, teaching and staff assistantship positions. These positions are competitive. 

Occupational and environmental medicine residency program funding

Questions about funding for the Occupational and Environmental Medicine residency program should be directed to the residency program office in the UW Division of General Internal Medicine.