Welcome to the UW Department of Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences
We believe everyone deserves a safe place to live, work and play, and an equal chance at a healthy life.
Pursue your passion for public health at one of the world’s preeminent research universities—in a department where everyone knows your name.
Here in the UW Department of Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences, you can:
- Collaborate with community partners to make health equity a reality.
- Measure the impact of climate change on people’s health.
- Investigate the links between air pollution and dementia.
- Discover new methods to detect COVID-19.
- Shape on-the-job safety protections for gig workers.
- Feel welcomed and valued in a department that believes in attracting students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
Attend the next graduate info session for November 3 from 4-5PM. Join us on Zoom
Why choose DEOHS?
- Flexible, customizable degree options that let you graduate job-ready in as little as 15 months.
- 75+ funded projects and centers investigating how our health is affected by our environments and workplaces.
- Our focus on environmental justice, health equity and community partnerships leads to lasting health impact.
- Pay in-state tuition if you live in one of 16 Western states and pursue an MS or PhD degree.
- Personalized, one-on-one career and internship support from our dedicated career counselor.
- Student-centered learning spaces in our new home at the UW’s Hans Rosling Center for Population Health and newly renovated labs at our nearby Roosevelt location create opportunities for innovative research and collaboration.
Take the next step
MS, MS Applied and PhD students: Choose your area of emphasis
Students in our MS, MS Applied and PhD degree programs specialize in an "area of emphasis," an optional learning track to gain specialized disciplinary training. Or choose the Individualized Track to customize your education and design your own degree pathway.
MPH students: Choose your MPH program
Students in our MPH degree programs gain a broad perspective on environmental and occupational health, with an emphasis on applications and policy implications.
MPH, Environmental Health Sciences
MPH, Occupational & Environmental Medicine
Interested in an all-online program? Learn about the UW's online MPH
The guidance and support I’ve received from my faculty adviser has helped me excel and has already resulted in several career opportunities that could help me make a positive impact in the world.
MPH, Environmental and Occupational Health