Sverre Vedal, MD, MSc
- Health effects of air pollution; Occupational lung disease
- KEYWORDS: Air pollution, Cardiovascular disease and air pollution, Environmental epidemiology, Exposure estimation, Gene-environment interaction, Health effects of air pollution, Occupational and environmental lung disease, Occupational epidemiology, Ozone, Particulate matter, Respiratory disease, Wood smoke
In the News
University of Washington Center for Clean Air Research (CCAR)
Funding Agency: EPA (RD-83479601 / EPA-RC2009-STAR-C1)
This is a center project involving several institutions and projects examining how pollution from roadways affects cardiovascular health. The research integrates the fields of exposure science, epidemiology, toxicology, clinical studies, and biostatistics to study the cardiovascular hazards of recent and aged roadway emissions.
AXA Distinguished Successional Chair in Air Pollution and Health
Funding Agency: AXA Research Fund
This AXA chair is administered through the Chinese Research Academy of Environmental Sciences (CRAES) in Beijing, China. The goal is to promote collaboration between the chairholder and investigators and students at CRAES and elsewhere in China in investigating the health impacts of air pollution exposure in China.
- Reul NK, Li W, Gallagher LG, Ray RM, Romano ME, Gao CL, Thomas DB, Vedal S, Checkoway H. Risk of pancreatic cancer in female textile workers in Shanghai, China exposed to metals, solvents, chemicals and endotoxin: follow-up to a nested case-cohort study. J Occup Environ Med 2016; 58: 195-199.
- Wang M, Keller JP, Adar SD, Kim S-Y, Larson TV, Olives C, Sampson PD, Sheppard L, Szpiro AA, Vedal S, Kaufman JD. Development of long-term spatiotemporal models for ambient ozone in six metropolitan regions of the United States: the MESA Air Study. Atmos Environ 2016; 123: 79-87.
- Liu L, Wang Y, Du S, Zhang W, Hou L, Vedal S, Han B, Yang W, Chen M, Bai Z. Characteristics of atmospheric single particles during haze periods in a typical urban area of Beijing: a case study in October, 2014. J Environ Sci 2016; 40: 145-153.
- Kaufman JD, Spalt EW, Curl CL, Hajat A, Jones MR, Kim S-Y, Vedal S, Szpiro AA, Gassett A, Sheppard L, Daviglus ML, Adar SD. Advances in understanding air pollution and CVD. Global Heart 2016; 11: 343-352. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gheart.2016.07.004
- Chi GC, Hajat A, Bird CE, Cullen MR, Griffin BA, Miller KA, Shih RA, Stefanick ML, Vedal S, Whitsel EA, Kaufman JD. Individual and neighborhood socioeconomic status, long-term exposure to air pollution, and risk of cardiovascular disease in the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study. Environ Health Perspect 2016; 124:1840-1847.
- Wang M, Sampson P, Hu JL, Kleeman M, Keller J, Olives C, Szpiro AA, Vedal S, Kaufman JD. Combining land-use regression and chemical transport modeling in a spatio-temporal geostatistical model for ozone and PM2.5. Environ Sci Technol 2016; 50: 5111-5118. DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.5b06001
- Kim S-Y, Sheppard L, Bergen S, Szpiro AA, Sampson PD, Kaufman JD, Vedal S. Prediction of fine particulate matter chemical components with a spatio-temporal model for the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis cohort. J Expos Sci Environ Epidemiol 2016; 26: 520-528.
- Xu W, Riley E, Austin E, Sasakura M, Schaal L, Gould T, Hartin K, Simpson CD, Sampson PD, Yost M, Larson TV, Xiu G, Vedal S. Use of mobile and passive badge air monitoring data for NOx and ozone air pollution spatial exposure prediction models. J Expos Sci Environ Epidemiol 2017; 27: 184-192. doi: 10.1038/jes.2016.9
- Hazlehurst MF, Spalt EW, Nicholas TP, Curl CL, Davey ME, Watson KE, Vedal S, Kaufman JD. Integrating data from multiple time-location measurement methods for use in exposure assessment: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. J Expos Sci Environ Epidemiol 2017 (epub .doi: 10.1038/ s.2016.84).
- Sack CS, Kawut SM, Hoffman E, Raghu G, Hooper L, Podolanczuk AJ, Seixas N, Gassett A, Sheppard L, Barr RG, Vedal S, Kaufman JD, Lederer DJ. Occupational exposures and subclinical interstitial lung disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2017 (in press).
- Alexander D, Larson T, Vedal S, Bolton S. Associations between a cookstove intervention and lung function in indigenous Bolivian women: a small intervention study. Global Public Health 2017 (in press).
- Sack CS, Kawut SM, Hoffman E, Raghu G, Gassett A, Sheppard L, Vedal S, Kaufman JD. Air pollution and subclinical interstitial lung disease. Eur Respir J 2017 (in press).