Undergraduate Summer Research Program
Environmental Health Research Experience Program (EHREP)
The experience will:
- Provide first-hand experiences in community based research and rural public environmental health
- Introduce students to key environmental and occupational health concepts
- Offer academic research exposure that will help students be more competitive for graduate school
Key Application and Program Dates
- The application process opens: February 1, 2018.
- Application deadline: February 11, 2018.
- Application review period: February 12 -16, 2018 (well qualified applicants may be asked to interview with the Program Director).
- All application decisions will be notified by email: February 23, 2018.
- Program dates for 2018: June 18th to August 17th. Students must be able to be participate for the full duration of the program, so please confirm your summer availability before you apply.
This program is for current UW DEOHS undergraduates in their Junior or Senior year who will be graduating after the Fall 2018 quarter. Students who will have completed their degree prior to the program start date or who have already completed their DEOHS internship requirement are not eligible to apply. Federal funding restrictions requires that participants be US Citizens or US Permanent Residents.
One of the goals of the EHREP program is to diversify the field of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences. Therefore, students who have been traditionally underrepresented in the sciences are strongly encouraged to apply. Underrepresented groups include: first generation college students; students with disabilities; students from an economically disadvantaged background, and students from racial and ethnic groups that are underrepresented, such as: African Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, American Indians or Alaskan Natives, and Native Hawaiians and other Native Pacific Islanders.
Students accepted into the program will be required to register for ENVH 499 (3 credits) with Dr. Tania Busch Isaksen or Dr. Nicole Errett during the Spring 2018 Quarter and ENVH 482 in the Fall 2018 Quarter.
Students will receive a stipend of $5,200 to be distributed in installments via UW Payroll.
EHREP students will be responsible for providing their own housing.
A complete application consists of the following 3 items, all which must be submitted by February 11, 2018, 5pm Pacific Time.
- Cover Letter: The suggested length is 1 page. In your letter, address your areas of general research interest and why you are interested in rural public environmental health.
- Resume: Be sure to include research activities, honors, awards, and any other relevant accomplishments.
- Writing Sample: Please submit an example that would demonstrate your analytical writing skills. It should be no longer than 3-4 pages and have been researched and written by you personally.
File format and Submission instructions
If you have questions, please email: email@example.com