June T. Spector, MD, MPH
Dr. Spector received her MD from Yale University School of Medicine in 2005 and completed her Internal Medicine residency training at Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in 2008. Following an MPH in biostatistics and epidemiology at Johns Hopkins and occupational & environmental medicine fellowship training and postdoctoral research training at the University of Washington, Dr. Spector joined the faculty in the Departments of Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences and Medicine in 2012. She is the current Director of Occupational & Environmental Medicine at the University of Washington.
Health effects of exposure to hot conditions in working populations. Preventing adverse heat health effects and improving biological adaptation to heat.
In the News
ENV_H550 (Occupational & Environmental Disease), ENV_H 597 (Case Studies in Environmental and Occupational Health), ENV_H 596 (Current Issues in Occupational and Environmental Medicine)
Heat exposure, injury risk, and productivity in agricultural workers (CDC/NIOSH K01)
This project examines the association between heat exposure and traumatic injury risk in agricultural workers, assesses a potential mechanism for increased injury risk in crop workers exposed to heat stress and its relation to productivity, and examines the feasibility of using a biomarker of heat acclimation to detect workers at risk for heat-related illness (HRI) and injury. The project will: 1) estimate the association between heat exposure and injury risk in agricultural workers using established climate models and WA workers` compensation data; 2) estimate associations between heat stress, psychomotor performance, and productivity in adult outdoor crop workers in field harvest conditions; 3) assess the feasibility of using urinary 8-hydroxy-2`-deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) as a biomarker of heat acclimation in field conditions; and 4) disseminate findings to the agricultural community and industry.
Characterization of potential heat-related illness risk factors and heat-associated injury risk in construction workers (DEOHS MA/AF Initiative)
This work aims to identify potential heat-related illness (HRI) risk factors in construction workers, using an existing HRI risk factors survey adapted to the construction industry, and to assess the relationship between heat stress and injury risk through measurement of heat stress and psychomotor performance in a sample of construction workers in the greater Seattle area. The results of this project are anticipated to provide valuable information about potential modifiable risk factors for HRI and its consequences that can ultimately be used to target prevention efforts.
- Nkyekyer EW, Fulton-Kehoe D, Spector J, Franklin G. Opioid and benzodiazepine use before injury among workers in Washington State, 2012 - 2015. J Occup Environ Med 2018. In Press.
- Spector JT, Krenz J, Calkins M, Ryan D, Carmona J, Pan M, Zemke A, Sampson PD. Associations between heat exposure, vigilance, and balance performance in summer tree fruit harvesters. Appl Ergon 2018;67:1-8.
- Quiller G, Krenz J, Ebi K, Hess J, Fenske R, Sampson P, Pan M, Spector JT. Heat exposure and productivity in orchards: Implications for climate change research. Arch Environ Occup Health 2017: 1-4.
- Kuras E, Bernhard M, Calkins M, Ebi K, Hess J, Kintziger K, Jagger M, Middel A, Scott A, Spector J, Uejio C, Vanos J, Zaitchik B, Gohlke J, Hondula D. Opportunities and challenges for personal heat exposure research. Environ Health Perspect 2017; 125(8):085001.
- Spector JT, Reul NK. Promoting early, safe return to work in injured employees: A randomized trial of a supervisor training intervention in a healthcare setting. J Occup Rehabil 2017;27(1):70-81.
- Bethel J, Spector J, Krenz J. Hydration and cooling practices among farmworkers in Oregon and Washington. J Agromedicine 2017; 22(3):222-228.
- Spector JT, Bonauto DK, Sheppard L, Busch-Isaksen T, Calkins M, Adams D, Lieblich M, Fenske RA. A case-crossover study of heat exposure and injury risk in outdoor agricultural workers. PLOS ONE 2016;11(10):e0164498.
- Spector JT, Krenz J, Blank KN. Risk factors for heat-related illness in Washington crop workers. J Agromedicine 2015;20(3):349-59.
- Spector JT, Lieblich MD. Letter regarding ‘Comparison between low-cost marker-less and high-end marker-based motion capture systems for the computer-aided assessment of working ergonomics' by Patrizi et al and research reproducibility. Ergonomics 2015; Dec 30:1-10.
- Spector JT, Sheffield PE. Re-evaluating occupational heat stress in a changing climate. Annals of Occupational Hygiene 2014; 58(8): 936-42.
- Spector JT, Yong R, Altenmueller E, Jabusch H-C. Predictors of music-related motor skills in children pianists. Human Movement Science 2014;37:157-66.
- Spector JT, Krenz J, Rauser E, Bonauto DK. Heat-related illness in Washington State agriculture and forestry sectors. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 2014;57(8):881-95.
- Spector JT, Lieblich M, Bao S, McQuade K, Hughes M. Automation of workplace lifting hazard assessment for musculoskeletal injury prevention. Annals of Occupational & Environmental Medicine 2014;26:15.
- Spector JT, De Roos AJ, Ulrich CM, Sheppard L, Sjodin A, Wener MH, Wood B, McTiernan A. Plasma polychlorinated biphenyl concentrations and immune function in postmenopausal women. Environmental Research 2014;131:174-180.
- Lam M, Krenz J, Perla M, Negrete M, Palmandez P, Spector JT. Identification of barriers to the prevention and treatment of heat-related illness in Latino farmworkers using activity-oriented, participatory rural appraisal focus group methods. BMC Public Health 2013(13):1004.
- Doorenbos AZ, Gordon DB, Tauben D, Palisoc J, Drangsholt M, Lindhorst T, Danielson J, Spector J, Ballweg R, Vorvick L, Loeser JD. Drangsholt M, Lindhorst T, Danielson J, Spector J, Ballweg R, Vorvick L, Loeser JD. A Blueprint of Pain Curriculum across Prelicensure Health Sciences Programs: One NIH Pain Consortium Center of Excellence in Pain Education (CoEPE) Experience. The Journal of Pain 2013;S1526-5900(13):01126-7.
- Anderson NJ, Bonauto DK, Fan JZ, Spector JT. Distribution of Influenza-Like Illness by Occupation in Washington State, September 2009-August 2010. PLOS ONE 2012;7(11):e48806.
- Spector JT, Turner JA, Fulton-Kehoe D, Franklin GM. Pre-surgery disability compensation predicts long-term disability among workers with carpal tunnel syndrome. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 2012;55(9):816-32. PMID: 22392804.
- Weaver VM, Kim N-S, Lee B-K, Parsons PJ, Spector JT, Fadrowski J, Jaar BG, Steuerwald AJ, Todd AC, Simon D, Schwartz BS. Differences in urine cadmium associations with kidney outcomes based on serum creatinine and cystatin C. Environmental Research 2011;111:1236-1242. PMID 21871619.
- Spector J, Navas-Acien A, Fadrowski J, Guallar E, Jaar B, Weaver V. Associations of blood lead with estimated glomerular filtration rate using MDRD, CKD-EPI and serum cystatin C-based equations. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 2011;26:2786-2792. PMID 21248295.
- Spector JT, Adams D, Silverstein B. Burden of work-related knee disorders in Washington State, 1999-2007. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2011;53(5):537-47. PMID 21508866.
- Enders L, Spector JT, Altenmüller E, Schmidt A, Klein C, Jabusch H-C. Musician’s dystonia and comorbid anxiety: two sides of one coin? Movement Disorders 2011;26(3):539-42. PMID 21370273.
- Spector J, Kahn S, Jones M, Jayakumar M, Dalal D, Nazarian S. Migraine headache and ischemic stroke risk: An updated meta-analysis. American Journal of Medicine 2010;123(7):612-24. PMC2900472.
- Hellman NE, Spector J, Robinson J, Liu Z, Tobias JW, Lipschutz JH. Matrix metalloproteinase 13 and tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase 1, regulated by the MAPK pathway, are both necessary for MDCK tubulogenesis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2008;283(7):4272-4282. PMID 1803967.
- Spector JT, Brandfonbrener A. Methods of evaluation of musician's dystonia: Critique of measurement tools. Movement Disorders 2007;22(3):309-12. PMID 17216638.
- Liu Z, Greco AJ, Hellman NE, Spector J, Robinson J, Tang OT, Lipschutz JH. Intracellular signaling via MAPK/ERK completes the pathway for tubulogenic fibronectin in MDCK cells. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 2007;353(3):793-98. PMC1839983.
- Spector JT, Brandfonbrener A. A new method for quantification of musician’s dystonia: The frequency of abnormal movements scale. Medical Problems of Performing Artists 2005;20:157-62.
- Spector J, Tampi R. Caregiver depression. Annals of Long-Term Care 2005;13(4):34-40.