June T. Spector, MD, MPH
- Musculoskeletal disorder etiology, prevention, and management; occupational health services and outcomes; health effects of environmental exposures in occupational populations
- KEYWORDS: Occupational and environmental medicine; Occupational disease statistics; Occupational and environmental epidemiology; Occupational exposure; Workers' compensation issues; Contingent and immigrant worker safety and health
In the News
ENV_H576 (Clinical Occupational Medicine)
Heat exposure, injury risk, and productivity in agricultural workers (CDC/NIOSH K01)
This project examines the association between heat exposure and traumatic injury risk in agricultural workers, assesses a potential mechanism for increased injury risk in crop workers exposed to heat stress and its relation to productivity, and examines the feasibility of using a biomarker of heat acclimation to detect workers at risk for heat-related illness (HRI) and injury. The project will: 1) estimate the association between heat exposure and injury risk in agricultural workers using established climate models and WA workers` compensation data; 2) estimate associations between heat stress, psychomotor performance, and productivity in adult outdoor crop workers in field harvest conditions; 3) assess the feasibility of using urinary 8-hydroxy-2`-deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) as a biomarker of heat acclimation in field conditions; and 4) disseminate findings to the agricultural community and industry.
Feasibility study to guide the development of a heat alert system aimed at heat-related illness prevention and productivity optimization in Washington agricultural workers (DEOHS MA/AF Initiative)
The overall objective of this pilot project is to evaluate the feasibility of methods for, and determine the preferred features of, a heat alert system that is acceptable and useful to the Washington agricultural community. We will collaborate with Washington State University researchers in the AgWeatherNet Program, which administers a network with 150 weather stations and provides a range of weather data-based models and decision support tools to agricultural growers and managers, to achieve the following short-term goals: 1) test the feasibility of `directly` measuring (from a subsample of equipped weather stations) wet bulb globe temperatures (WBGT), and compare these measurements to estimates of WBGT from standard weather station data; 2) determine, from Eastern/Central Washington growers, existing heat safety practices, challenges to heat-related illness prevention including productivity concerns, and preferred uses and features of a heat warning system to assess heat stress risk; and 3) develop a prototype heat alert communication method via the AgWeatherNet Portal, based on feedback from growers, workers, and State agencies. The long-term goal is to develop a heat warning system that will reduce the risk of heat-related illness and injuries in Washington agricultural workers.
This project proposes to develop a low-cost markerless musculoskeletal hazard assessment and feedback tool, with the ultimate aim of preventing injuries in workers. To accomplish these goals, we will: 1) develop algorithms for detecting workers in complex workplace scenes; 2) develop algorithms for recognizing the posture of the workers; and 3) create a tool for rapid workplace musculoskeletal hazard assessment that augments human input with the algorithms developed in the first two aims to process workplace depth camera data. This project will allow us to develop the groundwork for future larger research studies that evaluate risk factors for work-related musculoskeletal disorders (WMSDs) and WMSD prevention interventions, with the goal of reducing the rate of WMSDs.
- Spector JT, Sheffield PE. Re-evaluating occupational heat stress in a changing climate. Annals of Occupational Hygiene 2014; Epub ahead of print.
- Spector JT, Yong R, Altenmueller E, Jabusch H-C. Predictors of music-related motor skills in children pianists. Human Movement Science 2014;37:157-66.
- Spector JT, Krenz J, Rauser E, Bonauto DK. Heat-related illness in Washington State agriculture and forestry sectors. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 2014;57(8):881-95.
- Spector JT, Lieblich M, Bao S, McQuade K, Hughes M. Automation of workplace lifting hazard assessment for musculoskeletal injury prevention. Annals of Occupational & Environmental Medicine 2014;26:15.
- Spector JT, De Roos AJ, Ulrich CM, Sheppard L, Sjodin A, Wener MH, Wood B, McTiernan A. Plasma polychlorinated biphenyl concentrations and immune function in postmenopausal women. Environmental Research 2014;131:174-180.
- Lam M, Krenz J, Perla M, Negrete M, Palmandez P, Spector JT. Identification of barriers to the prevention and treatment of heat-related illness in Latino farmworkers using activity-oriented, participatory rural appraisal focus group methods. BMC Public Health 2013(13):1004.
- Doorenbos AZ, Gordon DB, Tauben D, Palisoc J, Drangsholt M, Lindhorst T, Danielson J, Spector J, Ballweg R, Vorvick L, Loeser JD. Drangsholt M, Lindhorst T, Danielson J, Spector J, Ballweg R, Vorvick L, Loeser JD. A Blueprint of Pain Curriculum across Prelicensure Health Sciences Programs: One NIH Pain Consortium Center of Excellence in Pain Education (CoEPE) Experience. The Journal of Pain 2013;S1526-5900(13):01126-7.
- Anderson NJ, Bonauto DK, Fan JZ, Spector JT. Distribution of Influenza-Like Illness by Occupation in Washington State, September 2009-August 2010. PLOS ONE 2012;7(11):e48806.
- Spector JT, Turner JA, Fulton-Kehoe D, Franklin GM. Pre-surgery disability compensation predicts long-term disability among workers with carpal tunnel syndrome. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 2012;55(9):816-32. PMID: 22392804.
- Weaver VM, Kim N-S, Lee B-K, Parsons PJ, Spector JT, Fadrowski J, Jaar BG, Steuerwald AJ, Todd AC, Simon D, Schwartz BS. Differences in urine cadmium associations with kidney outcomes based on serum creatinine and cystatin C. Environmental Research 2011;111:1236-1242. PMID 21871619.
- Spector J, Navas-Acien A, Fadrowski J, Guallar E, Jaar B, Weaver V. Associations of blood lead with estimated glomerular filtration rate using MDRD, CKD-EPI and serum cystatin C-based equations. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 2011;26:2786-2792. PMID 21248295.
- Spector JT, Adams D, Silverstein B. Burden of work-related knee disorders in Washington State, 1999-2007. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2011;53(5):537-47. PMID 21508866.
- Enders L, Spector JT, Altenmüller E, Schmidt A, Klein C, Jabusch H-C. Musician’s dystonia and comorbid anxiety: two sides of one coin? Movement Disorders 2011;26(3):539-42. PMID 21370273.
- Spector J, Kahn S, Jones M, Jayakumar M, Dalal D, Nazarian S. Migraine headache and ischemic stroke risk: An updated meta-analysis. American Journal of Medicine 2010;123(7):612-24. PMC2900472.
- Hellman NE, Spector J, Robinson J, Liu Z, Tobias JW, Lipschutz JH. Matrix metalloproteinase 13 and tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase 1, regulated by the MAPK pathway, are both necessary for MDCK tubulogenesis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2008;283(7):4272-4282. PMID 1803967.
- Spector JT, Brandfonbrener A. Methods of evaluation of musician's dystonia: Critique of measurement tools. Movement Disorders 2007;22(3):309-12. PMID 17216638.
- Liu Z, Greco AJ, Hellman NE, Spector J, Robinson J, Tang OT, Lipschutz JH. Intracellular signaling via MAPK/ERK completes the pathway for tubulogenic fibronectin in MDCK cells. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 2007;353(3):793-98. PMC1839983.
- Spector JT, Brandfonbrener A. A new method for quantification of musician’s dystonia: The frequency of abnormal movements scale. Medical Problems of Performing Artists 2005;20:157-62.
- Spector J, Tampi R. Caregiver depression. Annals of Long-Term Care 2005;13(4):34-40.